Friday, April 6, 2012

Sharing Niagara Falls

This is a post I have been sitting on for a while. Due to a stolen camera, I only recently got all the photos.

I had the opportunity to share the place I grew up with my girlfriend from overseas. This was my first time really sharing Niagara Falls with a true outsider. Growing up in Buffalo it doesn't take long for Niagara Falls to loose its wonder. By the time I left Buffalo, I had likely been to or near the Falls about 100 times.

For my girlfriend I planned to hit all the highlights, especially the ones with a bit of adventure. For her this was really out of her element. She is from the desert and isn't much for outdoor adventures.

We started off with visiting the Three Sisters Islands above the falls. This is a pleasant little hike that takes you out into the river just over the falls. It offers a pretty unique experience.

After little hike, we made our way over to the Cave of the Winds. Despite living so close to the Falls for most of my life, I had never done the Cave of the Winds. This made for a good warm up for the rest of the days adventures. Again it has a pretty amazing view. You are standing at the base of the falls and just being overcome by the mist and the wind the falling water creates, yet the water flowing under the boardwalk is flowing rather calmly.


Hurricane Deck
Next on the hit list was the Maid of the Mist. This was the first boat she had ever been on.


The last main adventure of the day was the Whirlpool Jetboat. If your counting this makes it the second boat my girlfriend had ever been on in her life. The ride starts with a 360 degree spin. My girlfriends face when they made the spin was pretty priceless. She suddenly realized is was on a ride she was not prepared for. This jet boat is a pretty wild ride. It plunges you through two different sets of class IV rapids, in addition to giving you a front seat view of some Class Vs. We made about 4 passes through the Class IV Devils Hole rapids. After the first pass, my girlfriend started to relax a little and enjoy herself. The captain did a good job of working the gas to insure the boat was swamped in every rapid.


-James

No comments: