Monday, April 2, 2012

Red Rock Rendezvous

This turned out to be one of the best experiences I've ever had. If you ever get the chance to go you should.

For just over $100.00 you get two nights of camping, 10 hours of open bar (pouring New Belgium beer and Cliff family wines), dinner, breakfast, classes from some of the worlds best climber, a great atmosphere and a bunch of free stuff from the different vendors.

We arrived Friday afternoon and after checking in set up our tents. Then it was down to the vendors and bar. Most of the vendors were having contest of one sort or another, with awesome prizes. Beer in hand, I headed over to the slack lines of the Yoga Slackers. Their set up was looser than I an used to, but I still managed to walk the line. As the night went on we played some giant Jenga at the New Belgium tent. I lost the second game due to some high winds, and was punished with a small spiderman costume and wig until the next game finished.



Saturday morning I was up at 6, as is my nature. I was able to grab some coffee before sitting to watch the sun come up over the hills. After that is was down to the slack lines again while I waited for my afternoon Self Rescues class. After some advice from one of the Yoga Slackers I was able to get the sitting to standing for the first time on the line.


I was slightly disappointed in my self rescue class. More than anything else it was a knot class. Since I am good with knots and many others are not, I did not get too much out of the class. Their were a handful of small bits that may some day prove useful.

By the time the class was over the bar was open again and dinner was being prepared. Spent some time talking with two local climbers over dinner, then it was time for the auction and the final contest. It was getting pretty cold and the wind was kicking up by this time. After all the contest were over there was a small dance party on stage.

The wind only continued to pick up until morning. There were gust of over 50mph. This did not go well for my ultralight backpacking tent, as some time around 2am one of the poles snapped. I was again up before sunrise, but less because I wanted to be this time. After a quick breakfast we packed the tents and gear up in the car before heading off to the days class.


Sunday's class was Intro to Traditional climbing with pro climber Rob Pizem. This class was a lot more useful. The main focus was placing protection and setting anchors for climbing. Rob held nothing back he fielded any question we sent his way. Also Rob's knowledge of gear was clearly evident, at a glance he knew exactly what piece would fit every crack. This is an ability I also want to gain some day, through experience.




Even saw some wild burros on the way back.


Such a fun weekend, other than my tent breaking, and not getting any climbing in between classes, I can't imagine things being any better. Next year I will take an extra day or two off work so I can put all the knowledge I get at the clinics into work.


-James

No comments: