Saturday, July 16, 2011

Scout Camp in El Salvador



The best weekend program I have ever experienced at a Scout Camp. The Scout Camp near the Honduras boarder in El Salvador has a great facility and run an amazing program. They organized it so we would share the camp with a similar sized local Scout troop. This provided both troops the opportunity for a cultural and scouting exchange.








The camp had a climbing wall, a C.O.P.E. course, zip lines and the human pendulum. Our scouts and leaders got to take advantage of all these activities. As a bonus the Leaders were invited to do the extreme portion of the zip lines, which the scouts were not. These turned out to be more extreme than I was ready for. On the top zip line which was very steep I failed to slow down enough and there were no safeties. I put out my feet and hit the tree still going fast. I was lucky to have only bruised the bottom of one of my feet, and managed to limp through the rest of the camp.


Getting ready to ice my foot.


When we finished the rest of the zip lines that ended back at the camp all the scouts were working on climbing on their climbing wall. This took them up to dinner. After dinner the camp had a large fire where the scouts preformed skits and sang songs.



The next morning after breakfast it was time for the C.O.P.E. course and the pendulum. The scouts and leaders split up and went through both of these activities. These were both very fun, and I was able to do both of them with my injured foot.The weekend closed with a nice ceremony.

 Giant pendulum 



1 comment:

Deb Brau said...

What is the name of the camp?