Sunday, June 3, 2012

Finger Lakes Part 4, Wine tasting

I spent a weekend in the Finger lakes with my family for hiking and wine tasting. I will break the trip up by park, this is part four.

After our hiking around Robert Treman park, we got to the good stuff, the wine tasting along the Cayuga Wine trail. We plotted a course north along the east side of the lake to hit a few wineries.

The first stop was Six Mile Creek Winery. This might have been the best stop. 6 tastings for $2. They offered about 6 whites, 6 reds, and 3 sweets. Because the finger lakes is big on Rieslings and May is Riesling month, I was happy to see the reds. I have always preferred red wine to white.

Stop number two was Kings Ferry Vineyards. I did not appreciate this winery as much. They didn't offer many reds and their tasting was pretty confusing. The only notable thing was they had two late harvest wines available for tasting for an additional dollar each. As an added bonus 13 tastings was enough to start to get that warm feeling.

Stop number three was Bet The Farm. It was a cute little place. They didn't have as many wines as the other spots we made, so you tried all their wines. In addition to wine it was a gourmet food shop. They had a variety of cheeses and other gourmet snacks. Also it was nice because this place was right on the lake. It shares a parking lot with a town park that has some tables and benches right at the waters edge, that just inviting you to come down and taste the treats you just bought.

Stop four, and the final winery we visited was Long Point Winery. This winery was another one with a good variety of whites and reds. They also had my favorite wine of the day a 2007 Syrah, which has always been among my favorite grapes. They also had a little deli but unfortunately we arrived too late.

Of course we couldn't head back without hitting a falls. We stopped at Ludlowville Park in a little residential neighborhood. The falls looked pretty cool. Big and flat on top and a big cave under one half and rocks on the other side. Naturally I jumped the fence so I could go stand at the ledge. The logical next step was to go into the cave. It couldn't be done without getting my feet wet, but there was a knee deep ledge going around the cave. I managed to make it without dunking my phone in the water and get these photos in the precess.








-James

No comments: