Sunday, June 3, 2012

Finger Lakes Part 3, Robert Treman

I spent a weekend in the Finger lakes with my family for hiking and wine tasting. I will break the trip up by park, this is part three.

Robert Treman park was the third of our waterfall hikes, and our only morning hike.

We started the hike from the bottom as we did with the Buttermilk Falls. We started by heading to the lower falls where in warmer days they flood an area to make a pool, to include a diving board right in front of the falls. This was not the case while we were there.
 Here you can see where they would damn it
 Lower falls and sand bar
 I'm standing where the diving board would be

From there we headed up the rim trail. I was a bit disappointed that the trail didn't keep to the creek bed. Most of the trail ran about half way up the gorge, with only occasional views of the creek and its falls. Below is a photo of one of those gems. It was still a pleasant hike through the forest, just a shame that you are so near a creek that you can't see.



After about half way up you walk across a narrow ridge line then down some stairs into a flat area of high grasses. From here to Lucifer Falls the the gorge trail does follow the creek bed, but the water is pretty calm and free of falls. Then just below Lucifer Falls you reach a bridge that divides the Lower gorge and upper gorge trails and connects across the creek to the rim trail. Sadly the upper gorge trail that takes you right along the falls was closed.


It took some time to talk my family up the stairs to the Lucifer Falls over look on the rim trail. They were ready to head back down. I had to promise them that they could continue up the trail .5 miles to the upper parking, while I ran down to retrieve the car at the lower parking.

 Lucifer Falls from the bottom
Lucifer Falls from the overlook on the Rim trail

I feel like I made pretty good time on my trail run down the rim trail. Even with getting a little lost near the bottom as the trail entered the camping area. I managed to get to the upper parking pretty shortly after my family reached it.



-James

No comments: