Wednesday, September 17, 2008

SaC Addict

If you do not understand the meaning of the title, you should stop reading this post now. Your wallet will thank you.

If your still reading it is because you also have this addiction or you have much stronger willpower than me. You already know about www.gearattack.com

I've know about my addiction for a while. I didn't need my friends to point out this one (but it didn't stop them). They first realized how bad I was when I got a great deal on some Solomon CR Lab skis. Why did this tip them off? Because I was a snowboarder who hadn't touched skis in 13 years, and I was living in Hawaii. Yes I was that bad. The pile of sunglasses and reef sandals were also a clue.

Now I only buy stuff that I really need when it pops up. You know like the mountain bike seat last week $200 seat marked down 65%. Did I mention that I don't own a bike? But since I don't own a bike I don't own a bike seat. Therefor I must have needed one, right? Makes sense to me, and that there is the problem. How am I able to rationalize this stuff to myself? I refused to save my credit card # because this would force me to think about the purchase as i found my wallet and pulled it out. This has stopped a few buys ice axes, snowshoes, stuff not in my size that i might be able to squeeze into, and things with only ridiculous colors left.

Now I'll give you the numbers to put this addiction into perspective. I have been addicted since my first taste June 27 2006, after reading about the site in a Men's Journal Magazine.

To date, in a bit over two year I have spent a little over $3,900.

I have made 70 individual purchases, or one every 11 days on average.

This makes my average impulse buy $56.03. Because impulse buys are the only kid that exist with SaC, your not shopping, just grabbing stuff when it pops up.

It averages out to a $4.91/day habit. For that money I could smoke a pack a day (in some states, if it wasn't the most disgusting thing ever), or drink a cheap 6 pack (also disgusting), and I would end up with change.

Not to mention the countless time I spend checking the site a day(4 while typing this post).

So knowing that I had an addiction, and that addictions are bad, I have tried to stop. Cold turkey 3 times, for about a month each. The longest I managed to stop was 53 days but it really doesn't count, because I was without a mailing address and internet for most of that time.

I'm interested to hear other peoples SaC addition stories, and if you managed to quit what was the secret.

Here's a picture of last weeks SaC
(2 Hoodies, 1 Fleece Jacket, 1 Giro Audio Helmet, 1 Oakley A Frame, 1 Oakley sunglasses, 1 SOG knife)

No comments: