Friday, September 19, 2008

187 on a rollerblader in So CaL

Yeah, so coming off the island (Oahu) to Southern California for school I had to bring my sk8s...hence it is a mecca of skating, Tony Hawk living only like an hour away in Carlsbad. So I was stoked when I heard there was a sk8 park within walking distance of where I was staying. So I went exploring on foot and found this nice little cement park under a bridge (Washington St Skate park) So I was stoked and went back to my room to get my ROLLERBLADES, key word. So I get my buddy who skates as well, but did not have his yet...pretty big dude (JP) to have my back. Sometimes skateboarders are jerks at first but once they see that I am pretty legit when it comes to skating they usually calm down and give me some props when i start doing things like 720's and flips. Well, we get back there after walking about 4 miles...there and back there again. So I get strapped in and I am standing at the top of like a 15ft quarter waiting my turn and this dude yells out all the way from across the park, "no rollerbladers". I'm thinking whatever man, so then again this dude right next to me says yeah dude you need to leave, or those guys over there are going to shoot you! I say no way, and then a third dude says to me I am lucky I already haven't gotten jumped or shot. So I know when to pick my battles and I had to hang my head in shame, take them off, walk out with everyone talking smack as you can imagine and walk all the way without getting a session in. Major kick in the junk. BUT...I ended up finding this dope, dope park over in Mission Valley, the YMCA Park, the next weekend. The place over there is out of control:





(an overall of the park with this globe sponsored Brazilian dude I met that was pretty rad.)

But the park has everything. Including the X-games made vert ramp and I was one of three dudes to even drop in from the top. But overall...I still don't understand this whole hatred between rollerbladers and skateboarders. I know boarders don't like us because of little kids on rec skates jacking around and getting in their way and all but seriously, get over it. Everyone has to start somewhere. Then I don't blame them for not liking the sell out gangster wanna be in-liners, but who cares? We all fought the same battles over getting kicked off the local hand rail, the 8 stair set at the High School, etc. Get OVER IT, we all like to roll, get over yourself. Live to skate.


Jeffreyness





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1SxGRB3WNk


http://www.youtube.com/user/sk8ersurferdude a lot more of the park here and of Delux and I's videos here.

No comments: