Sunday, March 18, 2012

March in Pensacola disappoints

I was given the opportunity to spend a bit under 3 weeks in Pensacola, FL. I was excited about this because I had lived down here for about a year about 8 years ago. I didn't have a way to get around back then, so I couldn't take advantage of any of the things Pensacola had to offer.

My biggest goal was to dive the USS Oriskany, the largest ship ever sank as an artificial reef. I missed it 8 years ago by about 2 months. Hurricanes delayed the sinking until after I left. Sadly the March stormy weather stood in my way this time. Both weekends I was here, they weren't scheduling any boats, even though 2 of the days turned out to be pretty nice.

The dive shop told me about some springs I could dive at. I was unaware of these springs. They are about 2 hours away, but I found out too late and didn't have anyone to go up there and dive with. I wasn't prepared to make the trip up there with hopes of being able to join into a dive group. Maybe next time.

Spring break was going on when I was here so, but the weather was keeping people off the beach, and the water was still cold.

I tried to rent a paddle board, kayak or canoe to explore the bay. But the rental place refused many times for bogus reasons to include light wind. They wouldn't even let me take a short trip, because it was close, 2 hours, before they closed. I am still holding out for a rental during a lunch break this week.

The only redeeming part of the trip was getting to hit up some disk golf courses. I bought a cheap set of disk at sports authority and I went to two course and they were both pretty fun. Much better than what I have been stuck with in Yuma.

One of the courses had this little rope swing.


That is until things turned around a bit right at the end. The weather turned nice and in my last three days I squeezed in two paddle board session, 9 holes of golf, 64 holes of disk golf and a sandbar run.

Lunch time paddle

After work golf
After work paddle

No comments: